Before You Buy A New Bathtub
Buying a new bath tub requires more than just walking into a home improvement store loading a new tub on the cart, paying for it and walking out with a new bathtub. There is a fair amount of planning that should go into the purchase and installation of a new tub. Nevertheless there are the wise ones out there like you who are reading articles like this. That is a very good thing to do. By educating yourself you will be able to make an educated decision and enjoy your new bathtub.
There are five items to consider when choosing a bathtub. The five items to consider are listed below.
Now you are prepared and you know the five items that most people do not know about purchasing a bathtub. However, you should still keep this article handy. You can use the same information above when you purchase your new toilet and sink. Pretty soon, you will have the best looking bathroom on your block.
- What are the dimensions of your bathroom?
To make the right decision in buying a bathtub, you need to know the length and width of your bathroom. You must also know the height of your bathroom from the ceiling to the floor. You should also multiply the length of the bathroom by the width of the bathroom, to determine the total square feet. This will help you determine approximately what size your tub should come in.
- What are the dimensions of the area where your bathtub will go?
Now that you know the total square feet of your bathroom. You need to determine how much of that space you can allocate to your new bathtub without over crowding the bathroom. How much of the total bathroom space the bathtub takes up is a matter of personal preference. So the decision on how large the tub is up to you. Just remember you are the one who has to live with the end result. However, you should keep in mind how the decision you make will affect the marketability of your house. This is important since the most people will not live in the same house forever. So it is wise to have a large enough tub to relax in, yet small enough that the bathroom is still comfortable to use.
- What material do you want your bathtub made of?
The most common bathtub materials are porcelain, marble, stone, concrete and plastic. You need to decide which best suits your lifestyle. Porcelain is more durable than plastic. However, plastic is less expensive. This is especially true if you want to install a whirlpool bath tub. Plastic costs less than marble.
Also, plastic when scratched is hardly noticeable. On the contrary, when porcelain is scratched, it leaves a gray film. The reason for this is because the surface of porcelain is actually a top coating which makes the porcelain tub look shinier.
Marble, stone, and concrete tubs are very elegant looking, but usually cost a lot. In addition, they are best suited for outside whirlpool bath tubs, rather than inside tubs.
- What color bathtub do you want? Once you have chosen the size and material for your bathtub, you should choose a color. Most people choose white, but many bathtubs are also available in a variety of colors. Some colored bathtubs include, ivory, red, lavender, and black. You can shop online for bathtubs and you can browse through your local home improvement stores. This will give you an idea of the colors that are available in the size and style tub that you want. When selecting a color, do not forget about the existing color scheme of the rest of the bathroom or the proposed color scheme for the re-made bathroom. Keeping the entire bathroom color scheme in mind will add less frustration later. For example, a person could impulsively a lavender bathtub, then later decided to paint the bathroom lime green. If this happens, then that person will have to return the bathtub, and may find that the color they really wanted is not available. To avoid this frustration, you should plan ahead. Remember, pick the color scheme for your bathroom, and plan it according to the color bathtub you want.
- Compare prices Once you have picked a color scheme for your bathroom and bathtub, it is time to go shopping. If you do not mind spontaneously walking into a store not knowing what is there, you can leave without calling the store ahead of time. However, if you are like most people, and do not have a lot of time on your hands. You would be better off calling the store first. You can find out which stores have the bathtubs that you want, in the size you need. Also, do not forget that you can use the Internet to search for your new tub. Even some of your local stores may have their inventory listed online. This will help save a lot of time, and is less tired than having to travel to the store. Once you know what you want, you can either have it shipped to you, or you can pick it up. For a purchase such as a bathtub, it is beneficial to choose a merchant as close to your region as possible. This will make it easier to return the bathtub should you find a defect in your bathtub.
Home Improvement Articles:
Must Have Power Tools
A New Bathtub for You
Fencing It In
Call a Plumber
Learn About Mudding Drywall